Today, asset management tools and software have become critically important when it comes to the maintenance and operations sector.
The crucial move from reactive to predictive maintenance activities requisites the employ of data acquisition tools and/or data analysis.
To maximize the usability of these tools, companies must have the right processes and the necessary knowledge and trainings to effectively integrate them into their current business structure.
What is enterprise asset management (EAM)?
IBM defines EAM :” Enterprise asset management (EAM) is a combination of software, systems and services used to maintain and control operational assets and equipment. The aim is to optimize the quality and utilization of assets throughout their lifecycle, increase productive uptime and reduce operational costs.”
In fact, asset management plays a fundamental role when it comes to the competitive advantage it offers for a business. Thus, the integration of software and programs for asset management ensures a better match between equipment availability and profitability throughout their life cycle.
Difference between EAM and CMMS:
CMMS (Computer Aided Maintenance Management) is an aspect of EAM. They actually have two different methodologies. On one hand, CMMS relies on the centralization of information to simplify and automate the maintenance management process. The main part of CMMS is its database. On the other hand, EAM is an asset lifecycle management approach that supports the performance of assets from the moment they are owned until they are disposed of.
Why is enterprise asset management so important?
Entreprise asset management helps companies monitor, evaluate, manage and optimize the quality and reliability of their assets. Besides, effective asset management assists maintenance teams to better control complex environments in order to attain the following objectives :
- Maintenance optimization: asset tracking and traceability require more complex environmental, safety, and health requirements. AI, IOT, and analytics help optimize equipment maintenance.
- Improve asset utilization: historic data collected from devices with IOT and analytics and diagnostic tools allow the optimization of asset reliability, availability and life span.
- Prevent problems: Asset management tools and software provide preventive features to ensure stable and uninterrupted operations. It also helps to prevent potential problems that can disrupt production and ensure compliance with various requirements.
- Centralize asset data: An asset management system helps the maintenance manager know where the asset is, what it needs and who needs to take care of it and when.
- Intelligent asset monitoring: AI can optimize remote monitoring and provide actionable data on the current and expected condition of assets. Fewer and more accurate alerts are generated which improves decision making.
- Maintain aging infrastructure: With smarter maintenance strategies and integrated risk management, asset life cycles are extended.
- Optimize operational applications: Asset management enables a unified and standardized technology system to manage almost any type of asset.
Smartech asset management solutions:
In order to reduce disruptions in the production process, organizations are paying more and more attention to asset management and maintenance processes.
Control all your organization’s maintenance processes with our EAM experts !
We offer customized and configurable solutions to perfectly fit your asset management needs:
- IBM Maximo: World leader in enterprise asset management solutions.
- CARL Software: European leader and specialized software in CMMS and equipment maintenance since 1985
Request your free demo!